Thursday, November 3, 2011

JJ Colony The Goatland Of Bandra For Bakra Idd

153,193 items / 1,191,988 views

This entire stretch from one end beginning near Noorani Masjisd lane , and right up to JJ Colony is temporary goat market for those living in and around Bandra.

And all these sellers mostly belong to the Bakarkasab community , as Bandra was upon a time the most famous abattoir of Mumbai later the abattoir shifted to Deonar , which is the largest goat cattle market , and Bakra Idd time all the merchants from various parts of the country bring their herds for sale.

I loved going to Deonar to shoot the exotic dumbas Chinese goats and rare lambs but I stopped going there since almost a decade..I shoot JJ colony goat market and promote it too as most of the people butcher community are humble folks and known to me..
I buy my goat on the day of Bakra Idd from my friend Ebu Bhai , the goat is slaughtered there and the meat bought home distributed to friends and the poor ..

Kids love showing off with their newly bought goats take it for walks , and the goats pompously walk the ramp of life , not aware that their death is imminent .. and even Death cant save them from Death ..

Jamnapuri brand is touted as best goat meat some of the goats cost a bomb the rich folks buy it , this year the prices of the goats have shot up so the poor who cant afford goats buy a bull that is shared between a few families ..

Shooting the slaughter of the bull is what excites me as a photographer , as the animal is huge and technique is required more than strength..the goats are easier but because the demand for butchers is greater than supply those who dont know how to slaughter goats become butchers for three days of Kurbani.. and the poor animal suffers in death too..

I shoot the Idd namaz and than cover the slaughter around my area .. shooting the bull slaughter is tough as the butchers dont like photographers , so I will speak to some top Muslim leader and than try to shoot the same in some other area not mine.. Where I live it is mostly goat kurbani..

Haroon my friend of Chinchpokli lane Gonsalves wadi has a hangout that serves as a goat shelter where he sells goats of different sizes and different prize range..

I am on Flickr Instagram You Tube