Sunday, September 22, 2013

Mr Gopinath Sawant The Man Who Single Handedly Fought The Killer Crab


Mr Gopinath Sawant was once the Vice President Of PSI Mumbai ,, a very simple man dedicated simple photographer ., who hardly ever blew his trumpet , he used to encourage us newbies . , guide us and gave us tips in the most humblest manner .

Unfortunately people like him or even Mr BW Jatkar were treated badly by a few at the society, abused maligned , but they did not retaliate as they came from cultured backgrounds ,, and it saddens me the lowest ebb the values of photography had come those days..

However I wont chronicle all that but soon after Mr Gopinath Sawant was diagnosed with cancer there was no hope , but this Maratha fought valiantly ,, never gave an inch, and I admire his guts his courage ... he would call me from time to time and he calls me still , this great lover of humanity.. he would love my eid sheer korma ,, eat it deliciously and this is the essence of a true Mumbaikar ..
We would also meet at Lalbagh Chya Raja and he is a relative of another great photographer Mr Datta Sawant ,,last I met him when he came to tailor some stuff at my place for a wedding , he loved good clothes and his sartorial taste was wearing my hand stitched suits..

He has recovered from cancer , but the fight goes on he tells me ,,, it is people like Gopi that have made us what we are today.. he is part of my lifes story too, I too fought my alcoholism and did not give in today it has been a long time I never touched a drop or touched drugs or even a cigarette ,

And this is blogging it is going a few steps ahead of the picture you shot ,,..this is a blog of an old memory.. memories rejuvenate themselves through a blog..

Now in camera clubs they wont tell you about the blog because it ricochets on the face that insults and humiliates ..

I am on Flickr Instagram You Tube