Sunday, May 8, 2011

I Go On My Back To Take This Shot of Jalal Mamu

Jalal Mamu of Byculla is the greatest Shia Sword Matamdar of Mumbai and his contemporary is Ali Shah of JJ Hospital.

I have never shot Ali Shah till date , I miss him as I am cut my head when he is cutting himself during the Ashura Juloos.

Jalal Mamu on 9 Moharam before the Moharam procession at Honda Byculla has a small event at a Byculla Station gullly , that s visited by most Shias and you see hardcore Matam.. sword kama zanjir..

Jalal Mamu cuts himself mercilessly with the Sword and than ends his cutting with flagellation blades , his wounds are deep and gory and the following day on Ashura at Amin Imambada he will cut himself again in the morning.

Jalal Mamu is a cult figure but a very humble soul, hardly talks but is respected by every Shia.
I shot this for the first time , and it was on this day that my Canon G9 was stolen near Moghul Masjid.. it is close to a year now , Mumbai Police have not got it back for me..

From here I reached Savoie Honda and was proud to see Girish Mistrys kids in black clothes shooting this sad event of Shia pain, his girl students wore black and head scarves..

All my pictures of Moharam 2009 are at Flickr..

I joined Flickr in June 2007 I have till date shot 100,798 photo blogs / 645,467 views.

Some of my pictures are for private viewing.. my family weddings and family pictures.

I am on Flickr Instagram You Tube