Thursday, April 7, 2011

The Hijra Bawas of Ajmer Demystified

130,293 items / 968,820 views

Most of the hijra bawas I sighted were mostly at Ajmer Char Yar, and here the spirituality of peace is the strongest..there is no bigotry or sectarian strife and the Sufi ethos in Ajmer or the dargahs is nothing but an overlapping of an extension of Sunnism..this is my personal observation , and though it goes under the name of Chishtiya order at the highest level of Sufi thought.

The Hijra bawas are on holistic healing path and have rich patrons but the few HIjra bawas I met are fiercely followers of Hazrat Hussain and Karbala.

For them Hussain is the beginning and the end and Karbala is an example of supreme sacrifice..and here at the asthanas they sing praises of Imam Hussain .. even the qawwalis are in praise of Imam Ali Ahle Bayt and Kwjajh Garib Nawaz on whose humility and bounty they sit at his gates.


I knew a hijda Hija Bulundshaher she was a practicing Shia and made it obvious by her attitude and her love for Imam Hussain she would curse Yazid his followers his progeny quite openly.,I was her ardent fan and she like me because we were products of the same divine love of Hussain.

Last I heard she died but I am not sure I miss her the most.

So as a photographer this part of hijra life that transcends into a realm of mysticism asceticism has driven me to explore and shoot..

I have met hijra scholars and hijra promoters of universal peace .. and this has caught me like a viral bug these are all pictures I posted without text but I am adding my new thoughts and reminiscing my experiences as photo blogs.

I am on Flickr Instagram You Tube