Tuesday, May 11, 2010

The Myriad Moods Of Marziya Shakir

125,326 items / 894,126 views

Marziya has school holidays but every morning after a shower and change of dress she hangs her school bag on her shoulders ..ready to go to school.

This is Marziyas love for knowledge and thirst for education,. her books her drawing and her poetry recital her life's teacher for poems is You Tube.

She loves animals , nowadays it is a stray cat that comes to our doorstep..

Marziya most of the time thinks like a boy, she strips to her waist and does Matam the Shia ritual of beating the chest in memory of Imam Hussain martyred grandson of the Holy Prophet of Islam.

While shooting Marziya there is no composition or nicety of background...her dads shirt is lying in the frame .Marziya is impulsive and for a two year child who knows photography she hates being photographed.

Initially she was cool with me shooting her pictures now no more , I can only shoot her if she obliges.

Sometimes I defy her attitude and shot her despite her restrictions on me ..but there are times I dont shoot her at all.

Marziya wont leave the house without her head scarf or the hijab..her mother her grand mother her aunt wear a hijab too,,, so it is part of her ethos and ethnicity.


And if I learn to shoot videos or buy a video camera when I can afford it , it will be only to capture the myriad moods of Marziya Shakir my grand daughter.

I am on Flickr Instagram You Tube