Friday, February 19, 2010

Walking on Fire ..Malangs

118,557 items / 772,355 views

These are Malangs of Malang Chowk walking on fire, the fire incidentally is incense sticks in bunches , they are lit up together and than thrown at the feet of the marching malangs ..the Malangs walk over it, chanting Beda Par..Beda Par..may evil be trounced.

Most of the Malangs succumb, as their feet are badly burnt and fall to the floor some go into a Sufi trance..I had never shot this segment before...it was here I had a vision blurring my camera lens call it what you may but it even stalks me now that I am in Mumbai among my own.

This was a very unusual experience and it burnt the memory card of my inquisitive and restless mind....


And only those from the Malang Chowk can participate in this spiritual event..

I am on Flickr Instagram You Tube