Friday, February 19, 2010

Photography the Mother of All Mysticism

One of the most respected , human being at Haji Malang is Siddik Bawa from Mahim , his word is law as per the existing hierarchy of spiritual thought.

He keeps to himself , he knows human character and the Malangs respect him too.. He sits close to the Malang Chowk.

I am trying to meet him desperately I am in a very confused state of mind, an incident took place and I want to know its effect on my destiny .. I dont normally let down my guard but I was taken by surprise by emotions not under my control,..

I also dont do Kaif during Moharam, but at Sultan Shah Babas dargah , on hearing the qawwal reciting about the tragedy of Karbala , I found myself shedding copious tears as though I was listening to a majlis ,and the moment the Qawwal seeing my pain , switched to Bhar De Jholi Meri Ya Mohhamed ..I dont know what came over me I placed my camera and my satchel on the floor and was whirling like I have never done before I felt I had wings and I was consumed like a candle dying an early inevitable death..this was a Kaif totally based on pain , I was burning and the surroundings wee burning along with me ..I fell head long on the Qawwals harmonium and last remembered the few drops of water on my parched tongue..

And More ..

And all this makes me wonder I was like a puppet on a string, dancing to another mans tune..dance is a metaphor of release from my human soul..

Yes Haji Malang is a life time emotion of awe and surprise..

I am not a Sufi adherent ,and I am a lover of Ahle Bayt, I am a photographer and when I shoot I become human , I belong to no religiosity save the one I am shooting..
So if you call me by any other Faith does it really matter ..I know my pictures holistically touch those who are touched as I am...with my eyes closed behind the camera...


Yes photography is not just a subject of Fine Arts it is the Mother of all Mysticism..I once fell into six feet of water with my camera and my 80- 200 Nikon 2.8 ED lens in the Godavari at the Nasik Kumbh where they deposit the ashes of dead souls , I came up but knew my camera it was Nikon F90 X was surely damaged.

I was in tears I had two camera bodies..I reached Mumbai placed my camera and my lens after drying in the light box..

My camera was working perfectly the next morning , my pictures on the film roll were intact , my lens well I still use it attached to my Nikon D80 digital body.

So God too eventually likes photographers more than those that preach the religiosity of hate in the garb of Holy Men..and divide us and brain wash our children against all that we stand for , including the country that we are born in ..

No , photographers cant be Terrorists I am sure of that ..photography too is a religion of Love and Peace.

I dedicate this this blog to my late Guru Prof B W Jatkar also known as Black and White Jatkar. I dont think I would have reached this far without his love kindness and encouragement..No disciple is complete without a Guru..

May his Soul rest in Peace.

I am on Flickr Instagram You Tube