Sunday, January 3, 2010

The IceGolawala

All our childhood days would be incomplete without the contribution of love of the ice golawala, I remeber my friend Merwyn of Holy Name High School, always taking udhar, promising to pay the next day but the next day never came but yet the Icegolwala did not hold this against him..I doubt if he ever had the childood we had, he was packed to the city Bombay as it was called than and made to eke a living..yes the Bhaiyya is a tale of struggle and hardship unknown to the neo Marathi Manoos.

The Buddhi Ka Balwala who sold am papad , jeera goli, and other khata meetha nick knacks..our school life would have been meaningless without Bhaiyyas.

I remember school picnics to Gorai , the crazy soda bottles , I also remember Merwyn and me removing the country liquor from the school padres bottle and adding water to make up up for the loss..

And the padre confused as to why he was not getting the kick.


School days and the Icegolawala man.. have finally bought us this far..thanks to Bhaiyyas of Bombay in those days..

I am on Flickr Instagram You Tube