Sunday, January 3, 2010

Doing Tandav on the Soul of Shimr in Hyderabad

109,090 items / 708,759 views

After I had cut my head I moved out and came towards this group of Sunnis from Rae Bareilly doing blade matam,I began doing the Tandav that I normally do on the streets of Mumbai, I have to restrain myself from going overboard in my head cutting for the simple reason I am here to shoot pictures , and the blood seeps into my camera and camera lens..I am also carrying the heavy Nikon 80/200 2.8 AF lens including a flash, I dont ever carry camera bags..the satchel does well for me.

I am hoping to finish this series give my computer the much needed rest.

I have pictures of 7 Moharam shot in Mumbai I have not posted , my grand daughter Marziya has returned from Lucknow, and yesterday for the first time in her two years I took her to a Moharam procession close to my house known as the Bandra Mehfil juloos ..this was the first time she saw alams , zuljana and little kids scourging their backs.

This was some experience for her and as my feet are badly cut from my Hyderabad street trek, I aborted this event before it reached the Bandra Khoja Shia Masjid.

At home Marziya began bending her back pretending she was doing the Zanjir matam too..and using her hands to slash her head though there was no kama matam at the juloos..

Sometimes somethings are embedded deep in the psyche of our souls..part of our ancestry of pain and culture.

I am on Flickr Instagram You Tube