Saturday, May 21, 2011

Reshma Dancing Hijra Performer

186,255 items / 1,470,213 views

When she was a child a boy she lived in the Bandra slums and was known as Asif.. than came the tryst with her fate she evolved she metamorphosed into a hijra or a trans gender .Reshma.

Ismail Chacha senior citizen an ex army officer now blind remembers him fondly and took care of him when he was young.


I shot these pictures a long time back and yet they appear fresh such is the beauty of the hijra it hardly ages on the soul of Man.

Reshma is a kindly soul I have not met her since a long time I called her a few times to find out if she could invite me to another wedding she was performing but we never connected.

This was a wedding pre nuptial event put up by the son of the wedding family knowing that I shoot hijras I was invited ..and I did not stay for too long this is the most memorable hiras set after Simran Transgender birthday party set..

It shows the life of the performing hijras their struggle to make ends meet with professional dignity human grace..

They dont get paid at all by the person who invites them but the collection of money from the crowds is what they earn for a living.

They get food they carry their own drinks that they gulp in the public lavatory..or sometimes the local dons offer them the drinks for a nominal satisfaction you know the rest.. refusal means gang rape battered bruised .. body and soul.

They perform free take a chance..

I am on Flickr Instagram You Tube