Saturday, May 21, 2011

The Dancing Hijdas of Lal Mitti Bandra

186,255 items / 1,470,025 views


Update

As I am upstanding my hijra blogs ths was a series I shot during a neighbors wedding and though I had an opportunity to shoot this event again I missed it.. but among all the hijra events this wedding performing hijra event is close to my heart as a poet and as a street photographer.

The hijras of this lot are poor but with vulnerable dreams they are drunk too disillusioned and the only money they get is what the crowds give including grabbing their vacuous tits by drunks pinching of their buttocks it is a horrifying experience sometimes they are also gang raped sodomized ..


Because this was at Bandra and the main performer a bit tipsy was from this area it was nostalgic and a beautiful moment..

Firoze Shakir
Hijra Chronicler
20 May 2011




I start a short new series part of my Hijda blogs at my Flickr photo stream , the hijra performers of Bandra Lal Mitti .. which is close to Bandra Reclamation.The performers were led by Reshma hijda and Farah hijda.

There was a wedding function, near my house, and the brides family had put up this event for their friends neighbors and relatives.

The hijdas were in very high spirits, the brides brother and his friends were having a ball, I shot this for about an hour and quickly made a hasty retreat..

This was a very exciting event and one of the ways of a hijdas livelihood..

They earn every penny thrown at them..

They did the Mujra dance too..

I am on Flickr Instagram You Tube