Sunday, January 17, 2010

Shooting Barbers

That is me in the mirror shooting barbers I enjoy shooting street side barbers and pictures of religious tonsure, and almost all the street side barbers know me because of my razor sharp camera.

I have not shot the street side Bandra Reclamation barbers , the road side stall near my place , I dont visit anymore..

Shooting barbers at work,smoothly touching a mans face is about Touch, the human touch, than the blade on raw skin , its strokes , its movements can be poetry..if you read this moment as a poet like I do..

I have shot the road side barbers in various towns but the most exhilarating was shooting a guy having a shave in an open green field perched on a chair in Bakshi Talav close to Lucknow.


And spiritually enlightening was a couple I shot from Andhra Pradesh newly married who had a religious tonsure at Haji Malang , this was the best picture capturing moment , both man and woman Hindus giving the strands of hair for wishes brought to fruition by the Sufi Saint of the Mountains ,Haji Malang Baba.

Even Marziyas mundan is part of her 9000 picture story at Flickr.

Marziya is not scared of the razor at all,but she used to get mad when local kids called us both Takle.. I became bald after her mundan to give her company and not make her feel an alien at my house.

I cannot resist shooting barbers and shooting barbers at Pitru Paksh at Banganga can be a moment that wont leave you forever , if you are aware of the fact that most of the guys cutting the devotees hair have never held a razor before , it is just about supply and demand and big juicy bucks.. not Rs 20 for a haircut but Rs 251 and more..

I am on Flickr Instagram You Tube