Saturday, December 19, 2009

The Hijra in a Veil

Shamem spoke to me at length about the malaise in Islamic society, and she knows the scriptures , is a devout Muslim Hijra and a believer of Ahle Bayt.

That she became a Hijra is her choice , her gender preference , her comfort level with the inner struggle of her soul seeking its true identity.

I do not condemn her what she is , she is human and that is what matters in the end.


My pictures are to show you up close the vibrant androgynous ethereal and also real the true avatar of a person who is neither this nor that , neither a male nor female..

I dont know if I will ever meet her again , I do not pursue them , I do not stalk them..I meet them as we are pre destined to meet ,I become the voice of their ancestral pain..
writing about them without profit or gain, the hijras I meet are unique creatures , crossing my path as I cross theirs.

I shot a lot of pictures of both these hijras , they were expecting more from Kurla Kamani at the Dhuni , who did not turn up, and I moved away from here soon after.

And these pictures as I mentioned were shot a few weeks back, I am trying to complete my back log , I have a lot of stuff to upload.

However one person I will miss was the famous Shia Hijra Hijra Bulundshaher , I was told by someone she had died, I hope it is untrue..She was a firm believer of Imam Hussain and never stopped cursing Shimr and Yazid.

She would even curse Mauwiyah , and was an Islamic scholar too, erudite and well versed in history.During Moharam she wore black, recited Nohas to me.. and this post is my tribute to her departed soul..though I hope she is alive.

I am on Flickr Instagram You Tube