Friday, November 13, 2015

The Humble Street Barbers of Bandra




There are some communities I have to shoot ,, and it is an urge but not an obsession..
First street barbers the nomadic type moving from lane to lane , searching for clients and most have fixed customers regulars ,,

I also try to shoot their videos if possible ,,,

The next are the Dabbawalas ,.. I have to shoot them I will stop them chat with them and shoot a few frames ..the dabbawalas fascinate me I dont know why .

Next woodcarvers at Bandra SV Road I shoot a few I know and there are others who are bit snooty ,,

The Whippers of Ma Ambe those who hit themselves with whips and beg for alms .

Beggars mostly Muslim beggars of all shape and size and deformity ,,

Urchins at traffic signals including women posing as Hijras at the Khar Telephone Exchange Signal.

The Hijras I shoot it is part of my poetry and cosmic destiny ,,these are mythical creatures Ardh Nari Nareshwar avatar of the androgynous entity symbolizing Lord Shiva,,


The icegolawalas  in the slums ,, butchers mostly buffalo butchers ,,

Mystics Malangs Rafaees and other such people including Naga Sadhus ,, Aghoris etc.

Koli women selling fish in my area ,

I shoot garbage as catharsis to the restlessness of the garbage in my soul.. I become superfluously one with garbage ,

I would like to shoot the Circus but seeing my attire they would hire me as a clown to entertain kids ..

I shoot life in thee slums , demolition of slums I try to avoid shooting disasters but shoot it as an aftermath and the rebuilding process .

I dont shoot clouds ,,
I dont shoot sunsets sunrise
The only mountains or molehills I shoot are garbage dumps in my backyard.

I shoot the minstrels of Phandharpur ,, I shoot kaichi dharwalas , pattiyawalas , water sellers , desi sex medicine sellers or pathans who sell salajeet ,,

I shoot the redlight area ,, sometimes ,,

I shoot the East Indian ethos ,, their houses lifestyle etc,.


I shoot Jain sadhvis and monks ,

I used to shoot the guys who collect gold dust near Jain mandir ,, tough job..

I shoot drunks drugaddicts and the homeless sleeping on the streets ,, I avoid selfies ,,

I wanted to shoot the tankwalis ladies who wore no blouse and refurbished the grinding stone but they disappeared ,, the new ones are fully attired ,,

So these are people I shoot ,, I also shoot cows eating plastic bags and garbage ,,

I used to shoot the crossdressers and the gay pride ,,,and a group of people called Sada Suhagins Sufi sect ..men dressed as women but not transgender ...

And yes I shoot the ear cleaners and chiropodists

I am on Flickr Instagram You Tube