Tuesday, August 5, 2014

The Street Cobbler Ajmer





I come barefeet to Ajmer my soul is taken care by the Holy Saint of the Poor Garib Nawaz Hazrat Moinuddin Chishty Al Sabri.

I shoot the streets starting from my arrival at the station till the time I reach Ajmer Sharif. I shoot simple things , simple things people in complex situations , outside Ajmer Staion are a lot of drug addicts and as most of the pilgrims with light baggage walk to the Dargah area, the entire stretch as beggars in all deformity shape and size.

This guy is repairing his rubber slipper he will pay Rs 2 to the cobbler a princely sum he is poor and it is the poor that come here to be touched holistically by Khawajah Garib Nawaz.

I am touched by people I shoot , people nameless just faces etched on my consciousness as a poet of sorts.

I only visit Ajmer during the Urus never before never after , sometimes I have been broke sold my camera lens to make this trip ,,and God gives me pictures ..pictures that I share without profit or gain.

As I am dressed as a monk a lot of hapless people ask me to bless them they give me money , and I give all this to other impoverished beggar families ,,and this is my Ajmer Urus story board .

I shot the beggars , the rifais , the malangs and perhaps the only photographer who shot the transgender hijras prolifically ,at their lodges and in transit residence.

I shot the hijra shamans , hijra kids hijra goddesses and some of the most unusual hijra Tantrics and Fakirs.

All this over 17000 images documentary is not for public view ..including hijra poetry.

Ajmer Sharif is an amazing place during the annual urus absolutely crowded , very expensive but thanks to Peersaab Fakhru Miya of Hujra no6 my host I lived at his home in his private quarters without paying a cent as he considers me his etended family.

I became a Dam Madar Malang in 2011 ..thereby strengthening my spiritual roots with the city of Ajmer Sharif.

I am on Flickr Instagram You Tube