Tuesday, September 4, 2012

One Upon A Time at Vasai With The Toilers of The Sea

195,637 items / 1,600,496 views

I shot this many years back and before the monsoon set in I would go to Vasai to shoot the fishermen Koli community bring in the fishing boats on the shore from the seas..and this a tough herculean task depending on the size of the boats ..

I shot this many a times but could never capture the beauty of the first images I shot here with my photo guru Shreekanth Malushte..

I am indebted to him to have made me shoot all aspects of my life and my surroundings I shot seagulls , wild life in captivity , architecture landscape .. and than finally pegged myself in a slot of street and human photography.

Even my religious sets are part of the gamut of street photography, be it Hope Hindutva Sufism or Shiasm and the 14 Stations of the Cross , including the body piercing series of Goddess Marriamen that I document every year, I was to pierce my cheek to with a 18 feet rod I might do it next year..to show my support to my Hindu Tamil friends followers of Goddess Marriamen ..
All my street ritual photography including shooting Lal Bagh Chya Rajas final journey till the sea I abort my photography at Kumbharwada after shooting the Hindu Muslim amity at Do Tanki.. organized by my dear friend Sajid Bhai..of Hindu Muslim Ekta Commitee..

My hijra sets too are based on the streets and some indoors ..and the Red Light areas of women whoring their fleshy souls on Mumbais mean street are based on the streets too..I could shoot a lot indoors as I am close to the Hijra prostitutes but I chose to let it pass , as my human chronicles of their life would only titillate and not serve the purpose of my documentary.

I dont think I could shoot nature or landscape it does not fit in the poetry of my soul..

I shoot crap shit garbage , the only reality on the soul of somnolent society...our garbage shows the kind of people we are like the facade of a building in Balzacs Human Comedy , Old Goriot showed the kind of people lived within..

My characters my people are Dickensian , my despair my doom shots are all what I read of Zola I was highly influenced by Dostoevsky and French writers .. and my shots are my humble tribute to these literary giants .. including Oscar Wilde and George Gissing..

I am on Flickr Instagram You Tube