Sunday, December 20, 2009

Blowing Loban Smoke at the Possessed Women Mahim Dargah

106,128 items / 688,701 views

I was leaving the Dhuni , but almost turned back as I saw this heart crunching mind boggling scene, the effect of loban smoke on the possessed women at the Mahim Dargah.

I dared to shoot this frame after frame without stopping and all this was shot at the Urus of Makhdoom Shah Baba.


I cannot tell you the pain ,the agony I personally felt shooting these pictures, and this was the ultimate pain deprivation of their senses , their frenzy , their continuously shaking of their heads , their grunts and groans.

The loban blowers went about their jobs clinically and the cops were standing a feet away from me mesmerized too, I shoot pain, and pain is the only human factor that joins us all beyond caste color or creed..pain is the only element that makes us all human irrespective of our wealth or our poor state in life.

After shooting human pain on the streets , how can I shoot insects , sunsets mountains or the flight of flamingos...yes pain has ensnared me and my camera eye..tears streaming down cheeks , the chant of Ya Hussain , blood gore I will shoot in the coming weeks..and become one with human pain.

Shooting a crystal drop of a tear suspended motionlessly on the soul of humanity is the genre of my photography, and nothing will ever change it.

I shoot cultures , diversity in cultures I shoot short term happiness too..I shoot people drunk lying on the streets unbothered about Apocalypse Now..


If you go to Kazmain in Lucknow during the last segment of Moharam called Athvi , you will see a unique moment of adult men crying like little children , crying for the Imam as he goes back to Karbala from a homeland he liked the most Hindustan..

Imam Hussain did not want war between Muslims , most of the tribes were inter related he wanted Peace and Yazid wanted absolute Power , Imam Hussain could have opted for any land for refuge but he wanted to settle down in Hindustan the land of Hospitality the land of Peace and Prosperity..

As an Indian Muslim born and bought up in India my metaphor for survival is based on the love of Hindustan and my love for Imam Hussain the paragon of Peace and Humanity.


I remember a Muslim lady Zuleikha at Khatus workshop at Lalbagh who hosts Durga Ma at Vakola since 36 years ..she asked me whether by doing what she does , does she become a Hindu..I answered her you become better than a Muslim baiting Hindu, why must one prove ones nationality by only reciting Vande Matram , we give our lives for our country is that not enough in the lexicon of love of a nation that has made us what we are..

Now for Gods sake dont ever ask me what is photo blogging ..it is adding thought where no text existed.. from Mahim Dargah I transport your mind into the soul of peace loving photo blog.. Now you know why I cant shoot Idd hugging pictures , now you know why I shoot hijras, Naga Sadhus Rafaees and the Shias and the cheek piercers of the Maryamma sect..

I will pierce my cheeks with an 18 feet rod next year , and walk from Mahim beach to the Maryamma Temple at Fishermans Colony, just tell will this act make me a Hindu or a heretic by Shia baiting Muslims of the Wahabbi sect.

I am on Flickr Instagram You Tube