Sunday, August 19, 2007

Callaghan of India

Callaghan of India .Mr Lebourne Callaghan and I studied French at the Alliance Francais in the 70s , our teacher was Alain Ficat.. and Mr Callaghan was the head of Roche products India , his secretatry was Mrs Nicholson..

Mr Callaghan modelled clothes for Burlingtons of Bombay on board the luxury liner that hit Bombay at Indira Docks.. QE2, Rotterdam, Royal Viking Sea, so many others.. and women , American women went into a swoon seing Mr Callaghan in ethnic Maharajah looking clothes .. tuxedos and kurta aligaris.Mr Callaghan did not charge for the modelling but money had to be paid to his favorite Old Folks Home or for the welfare of the Orphans and the Blind.And my boss the terrorizing traumtic, asthamatic Mrs Munni Gupta agreed and her brother Mr Andre Kapur the sauve good looker also agreed as Mr Callaghan was a sure shot seller of Burlington clothes.. And there was Mr Benjamin Caleb the manager the guy well known to cruise directors and the custom officers..And life on board the ships was huge tips , and lots of cold cuts More and Malboro, cartons of cigarettes and bottles of whisky the foreigners would drop at the shop as presents for me.. I met Mr Callaghan last before he died he was the Consul Genral of Ireland .. I made his suits..he was an impeccable dresser and carried a fresh lone rose on the lapel of his pin striped suit.

And than I was told he died suddenly , his son and daughter called me to his office at Royal Yacht Club where his body lay in the casket he was buried in Mumbai the city that he loved immensely.The Unsung Hero and a great Rugby player for Bombay Gymkhana. When I pass the Royal Yacht Club I look up where the Irish Consular office is situated , and feel that Mr Callaghan is waving out to me..


December 27th, 2006

photographerno1.wordpress.com/2006/12/27/callaghan-of-india/

I am on Flickr Instagram You Tube