Tuesday, November 3, 2015

Nobody Would Call The Street Hajam A Hair Stylist




And yet he does a good job , working the magic of his fast moving fingers on a mans head ..he is humble and does not have the eminence or prominence of those that work in high end salons ,, but he is a force to reckon with and I have been fascinated with his work his humble origins , he is mostly from UP .. maybe Badayun or Meerut ,, but a North Indian migrant none the less .

There are those that move from street to street with their metal boxes in Bandra , than there are those that sit at the Lal Mitti Bandra Reclamation corner ,, or at St Peter Road sitting on a concrete block opp Baba Nagar Bandra.

There are many places you will find them at Parel Dadar and Hindmata .. but I shoot them at Bandra or collectively at Pitru Paksha Banganga ,, I love shooting barbers and mundan and religious tonsure ,, I have not yet shot a Khatna ,, male one lol .. circumcision.. but I will one day .

Almost all the street barbers at Banganga Pitru Paksha know me as I am the only one shoots them demonically ,, and regularly year after year and though the newer ones may act tough with me but than they realize I mean no harm..

I have shot a few videos too  this time at Banganga of the barbers .. and it is the only time you will see lots of bald heads , lots of hair strewn on the tony end of Jain populated 3 Batti Walkeshwar area and lots and lots of street barbers and a crazy man dressed as a sadhu in leopard pajmas shooting them..

I know young kids who come to get apprenticed at smaller bakdas or street shops , and gradually move out to open their own.. many make it some return dejected disheartened back to Bhaiyyaland .

These are my barber blogs that I call Barberism a set on Flickr ,,I have shot barbers for a very long time now ...

As my granddaughters have gone through the Akika or Mundan ceremony that have never forgotten barbers and love shooting them at Bandra Reclamation.

I believe and you can add this to my heresy that barbers have mystical powers they gather ethereal strength from peoples hair they cut ..almost emasculating them till their hair grows again...something like Samson and Delilah..

I had dreads nurtured by a tantric English jogan called Lady Diana,...I dont know what extensions and amulets she put in my hair that I was going insane till I had them chopped of ,, I became normal ..but now once again I am growing my hair and once again searching for Lady Diana,,,she lived with a guy called Slash in Goa..

I have shot religious tonsure during Maha Kumbh on the banks of the Ganges ,, and the esoteric group of mystical barbers seem to know me and gave me a lot of respect.. they were willing to tonsure me for gratis .. but I told them I was growing my hair .. with so many years of head cutting my head has more furrows and ploughed field than hair ,,,

And Anees at Rolex Bandra Bazar Road does the trimming of my growing hair ,, I havent colored my hair for many years now I loved going blonde .. simply because I was crazy about Blonde American females the wiser ones when I started of as a blogger at Buzznet ,,

So this is in short my hair raising story as a blog.. totally original content ,,,and I can procure it through my mobile phone too as aesthetically and as poetically like my Canon DSLR..

I dont know the finer aspects of commercial blogging but as a photo blogger ...I let the camera do the speaking .. I merely add a footnote to its humanity and humility .

I am on Flickr Instagram You Tube