Monday, May 26, 2014

Inserting Hooks In The Back - Marriammen Feast Madras Wadi Worli 2014





I have not tried to use much text on these images , the flesh in most cases of the back even if you are lithe strong thin or very fat is very thick and it took more than several hands to push the hook in , and the second hook to be properly aligned .

As there was no overhead light on the promenade at Worli Seaface where the rituals were being performed it ws tough the only light was from a small tiny torch.

The alignment of the hooks was important , as with the ropes attached to the hooks the guys pull auto rickshahs , cars , chariots and the  guys pulling a 42 seater bus .. one of the guys had clusters of heavy bells attached to the hooks.

But the unique part of all these hook insertions was the use of  heavy duty cranes from which attached to a pulleys the guys hung in mid air.. I  shot the hook insertions a few guys being pulled by the cranes but left midway as I was very tired
dehydrated and was shooting all this on an empty stomach..

I shot from the 42 seater bus a video on my Motorola G mobile ,of the guys pulling the bus and it was a unique moment .

There was guy with a rod in his mouth another rod inserted through his chest and a rod inserted  thorough his back I shot his pain and his endurance.

A few young kids had hooks inserted in their backs , ladies with their tongues pierced ,.and before this huge procession moves from Worli Seaface to the Marriammen Temple at Madraswadi Annie Besant road a fowl is sacrificed ..

And over all it is a great show of their spirituality faith prowess and their allegiance to the great Mother Goddess Marriammen.


The Tamils of Mumbai leave no stone unturned  to showcase this great feast that sees no one from media , last year Bipin Kokate my friend from Midday was shooting it too.

And mind you this community living in the slums of Madraswadi has the support off all communities , even the Maharashtrian locals were there sharing in the solidarity of this event at Worli that I was honored to shoot .. I shoot it back to back every year

Most of the Tamils know me and take me as their own , I become a Tamil , and I am proud to say so.. ye my photography has a purpose to live amicably promote culture and respect peace of my country ..

.



I am on Flickr Instagram You Tube