Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Behind The Most Expensive Camera Lies The Humility of a Man Who Shoots

I have been a hardcore fan of photographer late AL SAyed of Palanpur, I have his book autographed by my guru Dronacharya KGMaheshwari..

AL Sayed gave up his camera photography and retired as a holyman or fakir.. serving society through a healing touch like his pictures ..

So last year when my dear friend Marc de Clercq erstwhile photographer who like me documents the hijras transgender decided to become a Sufi malang .. I facilitated his wish and thereby ended up becoming a Malang myself.. Dam Madar Malangs of Ajmer.

Our peer or spiritual teacher is a simple man, dressed in black robes and with dreads about 35 feet long he belongs to Gwalior ..Peersab Syed Masoumi Madari.

When I joined him , took my pledge I was independent had my own store but I was not happy insurmountable lifes problems , and I returned to Mumbai but not before walking barefeet with Marc over hot burning rocks , barefeet I made a pilgrimage over rough terrain to visit the Holy Shrine of the Eunuch Saint and his biological sons grave at Taragadh.. it was the turning point of my life my career.. so to speak.

End of November I shut shop and mortgaged my freedom working for another man , a good human being..and I shall complete 3 months end of March.

I had to change my attire , all traces of my love for long hair, walking barefeet , my rings my earrings my chains my beads and all what I wore round my neck, including my silver sticks my turbans .. all kept aside to be worn only on holidays and Sundays.


And I have taken permission to visit Ajmer Sharif in May for a few days to revive my pledge , become one with my Dam Madar brothers with the blessings of my Peer.

And in the meanwhile I shoot the streets , I have given away both my Nikons .. I shoot with this borrowed Canon EOS 7D it does not belong to me ., it was gifted by my good boss to Marziya Shakir my 4 year old grand daughter , because both my boss and Marziya share the same birthday..24 November.

My 7 month old grand daughter whose pictures I have removed from the net, a Malang like me , totally crazy about cameras , who also shoots pictures assisted by me .. yes we are crazy camera family is under diagnosis for a malady that has robbed us of all our happiness .. I try not to shoot her pictures or post her pictures her moments have become private .. and we hope pray she recovers .. she is my faith the strength of my poetry.. so beneath the smile on a face always lurks a pain that is only visible to those who feel it by mere insight.


And my eyes are moist as I share this with all of you..

I am on Flickr Instagram You Tube