Tuesday, November 29, 2011

The Dam Madar Whipper of Bandra

This is a Hindu ritual and is performed by a community by tribals from Maharashtra believers of Ma Ambe..the have fascinated me for their foray into pain , the genre of my photography and existence..

I had whipped myself a few years back in the middle of the road an impulsive emotion and when I met this Whipper last night I paid him some money took his whip and lashed myself.. I asked my shop guy to take the pictures ..

Among the Malangs this whipping is common place it is known as Sawali , in front of the Holy Saints doors they whip their body till a certain amount is given to them on behalf of the Saint they invoke and once the wish or Sawal or question is fulfilled they move on..

Last night while sitting at the computer , tired I dozed off across the sofa that is attached to my computer I was very tired , and in pain , but after some time of deep sleep , I woke up as my 4 year old grand daughter Marziya Shakir had bought a pillow , she put a bed sheet on me and I was deeply touched by her love affection concern for me..and my daughter in law placed my dinner near the comp , which I had past midnight when I woke up again..

So I am adding text to this post now in the morning.. I have another tiring day ahead of me I have to go to Vashi, for an urgent work.. and in another two days from a self made entrepreneur I will once again become a salaried person I am going back to the place from where I began my career ...and after a very long time I shall work for someone who is a kind considerate boss , and perhaps it is this thought of losing my independence that newly caused confusion and pain , maybe it was why I took the whip to flog my restless soul.

And I spoke to my boss to give me time for Moharam , and my friend Dr Glenn Losack is arriving from New York.. to shoot Moharam , I have a lot of worries on my head .. when I was my own boss I did not need to take permission , but now all that freedom has gone .. I took this job as my business had failed I was in deep shit .. and I had to make this decision to keep the hopes of my family alive.

My adventures in photographing hijras too will come to an end completely .. no more shooting the street feasts functions as an employee I dont think I would bunk work .. my job and the trust of my boss would be my new prerogative and goal..

I will buy a smaller camera like Leica point and shoot for my street photography..

I am on Flickr Instagram You Tube