Sunday, May 22, 2011

Sona Hijra at Sion Koliwada Marriamman Feast 2011

186,666 items / 1,472,774 views

I met Sona hijra first at the notorious hijra gully no 1 at Kamatipura it was my first outing to shoot the hijras and met Zeenath Guru too.

I also took my American friend Dr Glenn Losack MD out there but those days it was being refurbished and renovated.

I stopped going there and also stopped going to Peela House where I shot the exotic hijra queen Heena.

Sona is a very sensitive hijra and when she had a scuffle with another hijra who was dead drunk she was really upset , I pacified her seeing this the drunk hijra abused me too.

The hijra world is a narrow world within a world.

And it is this narrow linear world I shoot document to show the sensitive and human nature of the hijras.

That I have never shot Koovagam Eunuch festival at Villupuram does not really bother me I get to shoot hijras in Mumbai one way or the other.


I have what is called the Hijra Vardan I will meet hijras and be blessed by them and bless them in return too.

I meet hijras during Eid Moharam , Ganesh Durga visarjan and the urus circuit.. I meet Hijras on Facebook too.

I am on Flickr Instagram You Tube