Sunday, May 22, 2011

Documenting The Hijras And Their Spirituality of Pain

186,553 items / 1,472,553 views


The Hijras Goddess Marriamman The Spiritual Connection

Hijras are believers and their spirituality should not be played down because of their sexual orientation , because they are both man and woman in a single form their sense of fatality is based on the androgynous mood of their minds souls and bodies.

The hijras have various gods and goddesses depending on the area they have their origins in , but not necessarily they may adopt other gods and goddesses too..

So in the South down below you have hijras paying allegiance to Lord Iravan ..at Koovagam Koothandavar temple near Villupuram close to Pudicherry.

In Gujrat you have Baichuramataji.. and in Maharashtra Karnataka Devadasis of Goddess Yellamma.

Goddess Marriammen is an avatar of Kali Durga and is goddess of fertility a very powerful goddess there are a lot of temples in honor of Goddess Marriamman all over the world important ones in Tanjore and Salem..


The hijra with the blue floral saree Mehak comes here because her guy pierces his cheeks and has hooks inserted in his back he pulls a trolly of coconuts.Mehak is very fond of me and is always posing for me she calls the shots her brother in law was drunk to the gills always pushing himself in my hijra pictures but I could do nothing about it,.

The hijra extreme right making eyes in red floral saree I met years back at Hijra Guly No1 Kamatipura she is Sona and later there was a huge street fight between her and another drunk hijra.. Sona was in tears and the drunk hijra abused me too.. later I met him when he had sobered down he fell at my feet cried and asked me to forgive him I shot his pictures..

I document the lives of the hijras so Sion Koliwada set is about hijras and their faith in Mother Marriamen.

There was a very pretty hijra teen Jyoti I shot her too..she too was from Nasik most of the hijras had their lovers toyboys along with them.. and drunks were in abundance at Sion Koliwada pinching their buttocks , grabbing their non existent tits and rubbing themselves piling on the hijras.. this is a street procession unavoidable situation scenario.




I first spotted the hijras at Mahim fishermen s colony and met Krishna hijra who takes an active part during the festivities than I met a dark dusy hijra here Anamika and hijras began paying tribute to Goddess Marriamen.

But it was last year I came to Sion Koliwada I met the hijras who came with a hijra from Nasik, Santosh hijra who takes part in the cheek piercings I shot him extensively last year, this year he was expected but had not arrived , these hijras too were waiting for him , I got busy shooting the other stuff and when I came back to the piercing stop Santosh had already pierced his cheeks , and I felt sad I could not shoot the ritual the pain and the pathos.

Later as I was totally drenched I shot stuff sleeping on the road I was real messy I removed my tshirt and was bare breasted till I came home.

There was a young hijra devadasi a very fabulous dancer she was the best.. sjhe kept the crowds entertained .. the hijra guru also danced jumping leaping in the air dressed in a sexy blood red saree.

I am on Flickr Instagram You Tube