Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Removal of The Rods Madras Wadi


My Madras Wadi Mariamma series comes to an end I had shot 1157 images documenting a unique ritual appeasing the Goddess Marriamma .

From the piercings on the Worli beach to the procession and finally the finale at Madras Wadi where the removal of the rods hooks began a very painful and difficult procedure of extreme pain ..

I thank my friend Shanmugham without him his team mates and the organizers I dont think I could have shot all this.

It was unbearably hot I had removed my upper garments my jewelry and I shot this entire event barefeet with blisters on my feet.


And this is one event I try not miss come what may...this ritual of piercing has fascinated me much before I turned photographer ..

I am on Flickr Instagram You Tube