Friday, May 6, 2011

Marriammen Feast Rod Piercing Juhu Beach 2011

183,595 items / 1,448,345 views

I came back to Juhu beach at 4 pm to shoot the second part of the Marriamen Feast of Nehru Nagar Tamil Hindus, rituals to appease Goddess Marriammen rod piercing hanging of lime attached to needles in the flesh and hooks on the back to hang from cranes and pulleys and to pull cars and vans.

Than there are devotees who carry burning hot pots on their heads and all these participants devotees move from Juhu beach to Marriammen temple Nehru Nagar where the hooks and rods are removed.

I shot this event too barefeet despite a deep injury on my leg.. and I am thankful to Marriammen Seva Samaj the organizers and my dear friend Bhima Davendar who allow me to shoot this event ..

I will be piercing my cheeks too one of these days to show my spiritual support with my Tamil friends a follower of Imam Hussain among the devotees of Mother Marriammen..two different ideologies one single path of Faith..


I shot the hijras who carried hot pots on their heads also you will have to ignore the spots on my sky pictures because of dust on my CCD .. I dont have the patience to clean all my pictures I shot RAW and JPEG..and I am plumb broke to buy and upgrade my camera but I am not cribbing I am happy for small mercies I take care of the shadows god takes care of the highlights for me.. this is a 14 GB card..


This is my second set of Marriammen events at my Flickr photostream.

I am on Flickr Instagram You Tube