Monday, May 16, 2011

Marriamma Feast Madras Wadi Worli 2011 - At Worli Seaface

185,035 items / 1,463,134 views

This is my new set at Flickr.com I shot this evening at Worli Seaface it is the Marriamma feast of the Tamil Hindus of Madras Wadi Worli .

The starting point is Worli Seaface , last night they had a walk on fire I have not shot the fire walk as yet.

I was invited to this do by my good friend Shanmugham .

I reaced Worli sea face at 4 pm,barefeet and the road tar burnt the cheeks of my feet completely..Shanmugham and his troupe arrived very late at about 5.30 , the rod piercings began on the rocky beach below but a lot of piercings were happening on the promenade my friend Raja the piercer and Maharajah piercer were there too.

I shoot Shanmugham, but once the drummers arrived and began their hypnotic drumming I went into a trance and collapsed on the rocks they revived me with ash and water.

Nothing happened to my camera..

Later I shot the guys with hooks being attached to a crane on a bullock cart , they sacrificed a cock by pulling is neck,, the body they threw over the head of the crowds not before the blood of the cock fell on my right hand I had it cleaned immediately with water.

From Worli seaface I walked with the procession till Madras Wadi a long distance my barefeet were in real bad shape Shamugham carried a bunch of tadgolas attached to hooks on his back... their were guys pulling a car with hooks etc,

At Madras Wadi I shot the Maryamma temple and removal of hooks and rods and than walked a distance took a bus and came home..It was hot and humid I had removed my Tshirt and my sleeveless jacket and shot the procession bare breasted.

I dedicate this set to my dear friend Dr Glenn Losack MD..he would have enjoyed shooting this I am sure.

Spitting milk in the mouth during piercing acts as a lubricant to move the rod and is used for removal of the road too.


There were two Chattri or Umbrella with men within all hooked up like a umbrella.

One of the guys had pierced needles and hung huge meta bells or ghungroos from it a lot of people collapsed it is known as Devi possession or devi or goddess entering the human body.

I am on Flickr Instagram You Tube