Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Chehlum Juloos Streets of Hussain Tekri Jaora 2011

165,468 items / 1,302,032 views

This juloos starts in the afternoon from Azhakhana Zehra and winds its way to the Roza of Hazrat Abbas and Bibi Sakina at Hussain Tekri Jaora.. the hardcore zanzir and kama matam takes place in both the rozas.

Both the rozas the walls the surrounding areas are covered with hordes of pilgrims, I shot the Kashmiri Shias as they scourged ther backs, cut their chests with blades and used a doctors needle to pierce their heads , the intensity of their matam and mourning for Hazrat Imam Hussain is unbelievable, the ferocity of their zanjir blades, all this worked me up, placing my bag and camera around my neck, I borrowed a dagger and began cutting my head a form I call Dance of Death Tandav on the soul of Shimr..

My bleeding just would not stop and my camera was a bloody mess , after my matam I continued shooting this event and left later after a wash to catch the Jaipur Mumbai express for my home town..Amchi Mumbai with Ali Shah and a few Irani friends.

As the Hussain Tekri Chehlum takes a day in advance I was able to shoot the Mumbai Chehlum the next day on my arrival in Mumbai.

Mumbai Chehlum is of to diverse segments the juloos on the streets and hardcore zanjir kama and sword matam within the walls of the Shia cemetery Rehamatabad , this is a virtual war zone and blood bath.

I am on Flickr Instagram You Tube