Wednesday, July 21, 2010

The Day In The Life of the Sandwich Seller of Mumbai

135,302 items / 1,027,776 views

The quintessential poor man rich mans staple snack on the high street of Mumbai is the evergreen sandwich.

The little guy in the picture is not employed by him , but assists him he comes here in the evenings and he has in this short space of time learnt every nuance that goes in the making of the sandwich.

I admire him he is called Chotu, he is a good student and here he is a good assistant too.

Though I am certain he will have his own stall soon , I plead with him not to give up his education , essential and important in times such as these.

These are several frames all at Flickr I shot in the art of making the sandwich, this is my genre documenting the soul of the intrepid man on the street.

Photography makes it possible via the internet to share his stories I dont run after film stars but yes these are my stars I shoot the in natural light of their diligently dominating hardworking nature and entrepreneurship.

They struggle the vagaries of the weather they pay regular hafta to the local authorities and the cops goes without saying, they are threatened bullied by the local goons who demand their pound of flesh too.

But they work and carry on without complaining.


And the elder guy pays for the younger guys education too simply because he never got a chance to study and once upon a time he assisted another sandwich maker on the streets ..

He is following the tradition this is the resilience the assertiveness of a positive spirit of the Mumbaikar on the streets.

Who really cares whether he is from North India , that he has absorbed Mumbai and its ethos in his soul enough for the time being.

And without being sarcastic without being cheek n jowl his favorite party is the party of the masses on the road Shiv Sena .

He is amply protected by them and speaks fluent Marathi too.

So this is one last post I am squeezing before I go back to work.

Yes blogging is writing the drama of the poetry of life in prose..

The rest of the story you can catch on Flickr in pictures.

I am on Flickr Instagram You Tube