Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Dhiru Bhai of Advocate Tailors Bandra

125,390 items / 895,360 views

His full name is Dhirajlal Parmar but people who know him and get their clothes stitched by him , call him Dhiru Bhao or Kaka.He is the proprietor of Advocate Tailors Bandra.

His father came from Gujrat and set up shot at Bhuleshwar in 1956 under the name of Aristo Tailors .

His son Dhirubhai set up shop in Bandra in 1958 at Jain Mandir Road under the name of Aristo , he made ready made shirts and since '71 went into custom tailoring.
He took up the name Advocate Tailors and his most famous client was Mr Balsara under whose name the Hill Road junction off Globus is named .

He made Mr Sunil Dutt Saabs clothes but his most faithful customer died yesterday Mr Mac Mohan Sambha.

I did not know Dhirubhai earlier I just met him as he is my neighbor and a shop away from my workspace.

We are both in the same line of business , and I later came to know he is father of my family doctor , Dr RD Parmar .

I like Dhirubhai as he reminds me of my own dad who was a tailor master too, my dad Mohomed Shakir LakhnavI worked for N Swamy Rao and Sons at Colaba Bus Station and the film fraternity made their clothes there.

Later my Dad shifted to New Lord Tailor Wodehouse Road with Bhagwan Daswani and Sashi Daswani as his boss.


So watching Dhiru Bhai working at his shop cutting a collar with his American Weiss scissors that my Dad used too , I was filled with nostalgia and shot several frames of him at work.

Dhirubhai has another son Ravi and 3 daughters one of them stays with him while two are settled in America.


Dhirubhais grand daughter Priti is getting married in Rajkot , and Priti is very fond of Marziya my grand daughter.. so through this blog one grand father is paying tribute to another father and a grand father too.

Priti is Ravi Parmars daughter and sister of Krishna and Dimple.

I am on Flickr Instagram You Tube