Thursday, April 15, 2010

Carrying the Burden of Life

123,569 items / 854,752 views

the quintessential
girl child
all facets
dimensions
of womanhood
a mother
a sister a wife
walking barefeet
on the sharp
blade
of a double
edged knife

Photography is a subject you could read and write about, discuss argue about, but if you dont shoot pictures from your heart and soul the blank canvas on which you will add an impression of life falls flat.

I avoid Facebook chat, but sometimes give in because the person at the other end is an enthusiast of photography , I am happy a lot of kids are taking their cameras and taking the path of street photography, the street has to be selective some place close to home so people know you and than you move ahead , this is for beginners , sometimes talking to the person and than shooting his picture works as well, Muslims generally avoid pictures some take offense.Shooting Muslim women in hijab is a taboo.. I get away because I was destined to shoot them.. I am a cult figure among Muslim beggar women , I give them money , sometimes old clothes and advise too.

Mostly I ask them to contact the local mosque for more generous help.

There is no shortage of pictures in the slums, if you know a resident, feast days are a great time to shoot emotions fun happiness..
Normally at funerals they dont take kindly to street photography the only time they cant tell you that you steal souls.

Shooting hijras is very dangerous and dicey, unless you first talk to them take their consent pay them and shoot..I shoot and face consequences later..I have a Hijra vardan or blessing..


Flea markets like Chor Bazar Kamatipura are great places for street photography..the Red Light area that I have shot is dangerous , unless you pay and service her for photographs, I was plumb lucky that I know Heena Hijra and a few gangsta types here.

And I am writing this for a friend who has taken up street photography , and is meeting resistance from people he shoots.

The Idd Namaz at Bandra Station near the Sunni Mosque is a spiritual high shoot it..local feasts ..are great time.


The bullock cart races at Alibagh and Murud are banned but they honed my photography to a large extent.

Churches with due permission are great places to shoot..
Mosques are forbidden , Dargahs is Ok.. but ask before you shoot the interior..

Haji Malang is a photographers paradise whether you shoot people or hijras even landscape.

I dont shoot landscapes , sunsets insects .

I have had opportunity shooting Nudes but I dont have the temperament as by nudes I mean Peela House whores and Hijras , I was offered money too, but this is not my take.

Shooting the Gay Parade is another special cause and I have never missed it , supporting my gay friends hijras against the draconian anti human law Article 377..

I shoot pain , I cover pain or rather uncover and share with all of you.

And if you want to shoot something crazy , than you can come to Mahim beach , I dont have the dates when I shall pierce a 18 feet rod through my cheeks and walk an hour till the Maryamma temple , you could use my camera and shoot some pictures for me too as I will be handicapped completely.. This will be the first time I shall be participating with the Tamil Hindus to show my solidarity as a Shia Muslim who experiences pain exclusively for Imam Hussain.


I shoot slums and slum life and slum kids..I shoot all festivals in Mumbai but yes Moharam is my only pictorial high both with my camera my body and my soul..

If you ever want to shoot Moharam Ashura Chehlum in Mumbai if I am around dont hesitate contact me I will get you complete opportunity without hurting yourself , just be barefeet and wear black clothes ..this is a mourning event ..for the Shias in memory of Imam Hussain.

So Amin this is for you..and Abhay Pandit too

Ps

Dont forget to shoot Lalbagh Cha Raja his journey to the seas, Ganesh Visarjan , Durga Pandals and Durga Visarjan..and the Nasik Kumbh when it happens .

I am on Flickr Instagram You Tube