Friday, September 18, 2009

Pitru Visarjan Banganga 2009 Banganga Walkeshwar

I start a new series I shot this morning at 6am, at Banganga Walkeshwar, Pitru Visarjan 2009 .

I shot this a few years back and it was because of Ranjit Shashank of PSI Mumbai who won accolades and awards for one of his pictures shot at this event at a photography competition.

So this is my tribute to him.

The migrants from Uttar Pradesh collect at this place , have their heads tonsured , and than appease the Almighty to bless the souls of their ancestors , who come down to earth on this day a day before Navratra begins..

I give you a link of a person who has described it beautifully in his blogs..
soullens.blogspot.com/2008/09/shradhs-or-pitru-paksha.html

"To ensure that the soul does not remain in a subtle body hovering on this earth planet, but will attain a comfortable body for enjoyment on pitr loka, offerings are made to the departed person and the pitrs. During the asauca period daily offerings of sesame and water, and pinda (rice mixed with sesame, ghee and honey) are given to the departed person. On the eleventh day (for a close relative of a brahmana) the house is purified, eleven brahmanas are fed and offerings are made to the deceased. Beginning on that day, for the first year, monthly sraddha ceremonies should be held. As well, in the sixth and twelfth month additional sraddhas should be conducted. Then every year, on the tithi of the decease, annual sraddhas should be conducted."

THE RITUAL OF SHRAADDH
From the Mahabharata, Anusasana Parva,
Section LXXXIV + Sec.XCII

I shot this for about 3 hours than returned home tired and totally dehydrated I was bare feet and on my 27 th fast of Ramzan.

Pitru Visarjan I did not want to miss this year so I came here after partaking my fast.. to share the quintessential nature of my ongoing series on Hope and Hindutva a message of Peace.

There is an incident I must mention here , I saw a Muslim man with beard and a skull cap in this totally Hindu surroundings I am an exception I dont look what I am because of my attire and my outlook.

I shot the Muslim man from far , later I approached him, I asked him politely what had bought him here , he pointed down below his Hindu friend who bald was undergoing prayers for the soul of his ancestors.

For me this is the nature of Indianess that I like it touches us all despite our religiosity the sense of sharing our cultures, mutual coexistence and peace and amity..

I am on Flickr Instagram You Tube