Friday, January 25, 2008

The Sword Matam of Mumbai


The Sword Matam of Mumbai
Originally uploaded by firoze shakir photographerno1

This is a hand made sword, from Iran.
It is vicious and one slash cuts open the back, you need a firm grip anda steady hand.I did this Matam a few years back, at Mazgaon on the streets in Chehlum, I was introduced to this Matam by Cassim Hallori and a senior Khoja gentleman Mr Bundeally, a veteran of this genre.
I could not do it this year because of a diabetic frozen shoulder and my imjury on my right hand.I have very restricted movement.I cut my forehead on Ashura but could not flagellate.Besides I get carried away in the frenzy of the moment and it hampers my main goal of shooting picturesto share it with all of you.
Habib Nasser and Mamu of Byculla are sword exponents of this Matam.
You will see this when I post my Ashura pictures after this..

I am on Flickr Instagram You Tube