Saturday, October 20, 2007

White Mans Bluff


White Mans Bluff
Originally uploaded by flickr photographerno1

photo courtesy stock photo.com

“Each of us strives to develop a style; I spent nearly all of my 20's doing so...by working with another woman poet. Then one day something clicked into place, I found my voice...and now I am in my style no matter what! Obviously, I am more of a lyric poet and, for instance, could not do RAP if my life depended on it [although in private life I am a blues and soul singer]...but I do not worry.

I believe the content of what I write will speak to the heart. I celebrate differences, except I don't think we should trash each other's styles. The only thing I worry about is that at my age, I have become somewhat intolerant of the age 15... suicide-I-cut-myself-stuff. I don't consider that poetry, I consider that a case study.

Firoze, I would urge you not to focus on racist things you see, but focus on the poems themselves. Like me, you are not one of the '15-year-olds', thus have wonderful life experience to share. I do not believe the world is anywhere near too full of life experience, especially from those of us who are now approaching becoming an elder of our communities. In the future, I hope that when I die, someone with write on my tombstone, that not only was I a poet, but also I was a wise woman.

Best wishes...I will be reading more of your poems over the next month.

my name means 'strong', what does yours mean? ””


Thank you strong woman
for your advice
my struggling soul
will one day rise
remold itself resize
here at poem hunter
what hurts me are
the old doddering dregs
pretending to be silent mice
wily prostate afflicted poets who are
nothing but racists in disguise
the bowens, the arsewells, hogging
limelight should not take you
by surprise to support them they have
their sycophants ass licking spies
foolish pedantic pompous arrogant not wise
each one rating the others poems
to be at the top of the summit
a few friendly comments to entice
the old washed out badgers want you
to write like them Jesus H Christ
they will maul you malign you
sensationalize your faults
poetic calisthenics in every device
its a fact undeniable that
colored poets they certainly do despise
perhaps its a wishful thinking
poem hunter peace may prevail
after their demise
dysfunctional tools
cringing singed out manhood
between withered thighs
racism in poetry
is truth blindfolded
unseen by white mans eyes
his preposterous perforated
white lies

The title is for the bowens in their covens...

firoze shakir photographerno1

I am on Flickr Instagram You Tube