Friday, August 17, 2007

The Path to Recovery.

These are pictures shot during Moharam at the Irani Kava shop at the foot of Moghul Masjid by a friend now estranged..he kept on shooting me with his Canon camera even the picture of my eye was shot by him..
We had met for the first time at Chehlum Juoos , it was he and his brother who unfolded the world of Mumbai Shias for me.
Honestly I kept away from congregational events, even though I was a Shia I mourned privately..
No juloos , no majlis, no nothing..
I had never ever participated in any event for 17 years,besides I was plagued with alcholism..
It was this person who made me a Reborn Shia all over again, he showed me the other side of my religion.
I had come with a photographic curiosity, and here I was totally immersed, I had given up booze and the shrink had told me to take up a hobby that would involve me with an all time consuming passion, I opted for photography.. Internet had not happened..This self confessional is not a page out of alcoholicsanonymous, it is just that we are all born strong till we start going weak...Alcohol is not a disease , but alcoholism is and needs the entire familys love and support to exorcize the demon, the same for drugs, we do it for kicks and get kicked up the butt..
My best friends hit th trail and never came home perished on the side walk for ever.
I never visited Goa for this one reason always fearing that I might succumb..
I remember once, I had given up booze for a very long time, than one fine day while in Nepal with late Nandu Tolanis Banarsi Babu shoot starring Govinda directed by David Dhawan, I just could not bear to see all the fun around me, so I took a drink, and it is that one drink that turns out to be the mothe of all drinks..
Anyway, I just got up, these thoughts started filtering in seeing this picture...
I owe a lot to these two brothers who stay near Moghul Masjid , on the road to my battered souls recovery...
When I wore an Army dress I wore my Italin breeches with long boots..and got saluted everywhere I went ...
The medals are all original, some are pure silver..
Once I began walking barefeet I stopped wearing this dress...

I am on Flickr Instagram You Tube