Tuesday, June 23, 2015

Chimbai ... Tears On The Soul Of The East Indian Gaothan




Chimbai ... Tears On The Soul Of The East Indian Gaothan
Sometimes I wonder I am a friend of the Christians my pictures are testimony of my Faith ..but if the Voice of the Christian Church was strong .. if the padres and clergy had changed with the times and stood up against the political satraps strongly I think the wheels would move faster .. I shot the protest for the Demolition of the Cross the clergy came forward and the Mobai Goathan leaders , Catholic Sabha and people from diverse faith including me the only Muslim photographer documenting a event ,,and this is what is required not only when the Lord is threatened but when the common Christian is threatened too.. there should be a unified call. I was witness to how a powerful lobby of builders that had encroached Ranwar tried to bully my landlady and without support from her neighbor , without support from the Church she fought a battle , this valiant lady did not get scared , this East Indian braveheart had Jesus as her Might and I watched her and her sons Basil Brian Bosco young lads were her godly protective shield ,,Yes Mrs Agnes Pereira my family's Godmother who gave us shelter during the 93 riots.
I got a bit of her strength I added it to my photography ,, I dont shoot pictures for money or two seconds fame in a local newspaper ,,I shot pictures without any agenda I felt I owe a lot to the Christian Church, to my school Holy Name High School Colaba they taught me stay on the Path of Righteousness ..I am not a saint ,,what is Saintliness .. Saintliness is the Halo of Humanity and Humility .. when you lose it you lose it all.
Media will never write about the East Indian struggle , their fight to live in dignity and watch with tears in their eyes as their neighborhood became a Ghetto.. and early morning as you entered an East Indian lane you could hear Uncle Joe playing the Sax,,lingering lyrical notes of a world which was their ancestry the rug forcibly pulled away from under their feet..
These are old pictures but fresh oven baked blogs ,,,and friends like Merck Basil Clarence Gomes and all of you ,, made me tell you the East Indian story from the eyes of a Beggar Poet also a part of your Christian Ethos.
— with Merck D'Silva and Basil Pereira.

I am on Flickr Instagram You Tube