Tuesday, May 5, 2015

The Story Of Slums




I started a set on Flickr called Slumbai - Mumbai, and it was my favorite set in memory of my father who lived in the Kurla slums in an area called Bakhar early 50s . This slum was on the fringes of a Hindu crematorium and my mother who had come here to live with my dad I was a year old my mom 15 year old , had many stories to tell.. I was born in Lucknow at my grandfather Daroga Nabban Saabs house Imliwali Gali Thwai Tola  Kankar Kua Pata Nala.

Living in Old Lucknow , daughter of Daroga Nabban Saab she must have been shocked at her change of fate and fortune ,, she visited this slum all her life kept in touch with the people who had helped her , all her life .. She never forgot the slums even after moving to Khatau Bhuvan Wodehouse Road s..that later become the iconic Jony Castle ..we were tenants of the children of Late Nawab Kashmiri the only actor in Indian cinema to remove his teeth to act as an old man in a film.

Whatever I am today, my education upbringing I owe to Akhtar Baji and Munawar Kashmiri.. It wa Akhtar Bahi who enrolled me in Private European School of Mrs E Lester . and her sister Miss Marjorie Miss June ,

After Private European School she enrolled me at Holy Name High School and tutored me and was one strict disciplinarian  My mother Shamim was very close to Akthar Baji and my dad those days worked at N Swamy Rao .. After the Kashimiris sold their flats , the building was bought by Mr Matthews , who let us stay at  Neelam Building Breach Candy for a few months till we got our next house at Strand Cinema Mohini Mansions ,,..

My mother continued taking me to the Kurla slums keeping me connected to  her roots .. the Imambara her Shia friends .

So till date I could never forget the slums I shot slums dwellings on the roads at Mahim , Byculla that were bustling human colonies and one day the tractors came and nothing remained ..This was the saddest part.. I shot the aftermath of the Fire at Behrampada , Garib Nagar though I avoid shooting disasters I could never imagine shooting a disaster and watching the plight of the people without helping them.

I shot the rebuilding of the slums after the fire I saw how vested political adherents made use of this disaster to rob the poor poor usurp homes and all under the Congress Rule .

I live next to a prime slum but I made sure my grandkids saw how people lived , the tution classes in the slums and made them shoot the kids out there .

I still visit the slums because of my work both at Maharashtra Nagar Bandra East and Bandra Slaughter House slums shoot the people life and hope ,, sadly Muslim slums are mostly vote banks and some some slums like Nargis Dutt Nagar Lal Mitti ..have become home for drugaddicts and history sheeters.

Muslim slums are dirty filthy and I shudder to think what  late Ms Nargis Dutt must be going through her name synonymous with the dirtiest filthiest slum in all of Bandra ..and it did not matter to Ms Priya Dutt or Mr Sanjay Dutt ,, this slum is always in the news for illegal construction and regular demolitions since the BJP came to power ..

So now you know why I shoot slums , slum dog caterers who became rich overnight cooking catering for weddings in the slums .

Most of the tailoring , embroidery workshops are in the slums more in Bandra East and some in Bandra West .

The other notorious slum for drugaddicts and anti social elements is the slums of Shastri Nagar perched on the tracks close to the Bandra Station West.

I shoot the Qurbani in the slums  poor peoples weddings with hijra performers , Circumcision ceremonies and life in the slums .

Will it change ,, I hardly think so.

Ps those that lived in slums and get flats in buildings under the slum rehabilitation scheme make their flats into slums too..

I am on Flickr Instagram You Tube