Wednesday, January 14, 2015

My Friend Firoze Bhai From Chor Bazar ,



He was my first Chor Bazar contact and besides our common name we got along well, one of his relatives worked with me as my driver those days when I had a car,,

Now I dont have a car I use public transport or I walk..


Firoze used to sell his stuff on a charpoy outside a closed shop on Fridays..Friday is the weekly off for the Chor Bazar shops when guys like Firoze display their stuff and sell.. they buy too , mostly from the Kamatipura Vanjaris .

The money is good as everything that seems like useless junk also sells , the stuff in great demand is old Leica cameras , Rolex watches old paintings , old photographs and miniature works of art .

Most of the stuff comes from old Parsi homes , and in brand new condition.. old gramophones , speakers music systems , you name it they have it ,, a lot of people in this market have become millionaires travel to Europe Italy Belgium to meet international buyers .

The main Muslim community in this trade are Gujrati origin Mansuri Muslims .. a close knit community of businessmen  entrepreneurs traders .

The Friday Chor Bazar flea market starts very early before  5 am with a break for Friday namaz and the roadside vendors leave when it turns dark during Maghrib.


You can get old coins  old money medallions , even stuff that is banned , a lot of stolen stuff like designer shoes stolen from wedding halls mosques mandirs comes to another flea market of Shoes at Kamatipura called Dedh Gully .

I have stopped going to both Chor Bazar and Kamatipura flea market since almost  5 to 6 years now.

But if you get hooked to this market it is addictive , habit forming , I collected old cameras and shot street mugs so it was pretty good till it lasted ,, my used to call me a  Junkie as she thought I simply collected  junk adding to the junk at home ..

So these are old memories , some idyllic nostalgia ,,, I had some great times here I was well known infamously because of my attire and my barefeet ..and the jewelry I wore on my person.

I am on Flickr Instagram You Tube