Tuesday, July 15, 2014

The Indomitable Indefatigable Dabbawala Of Mumbai




I was always fascinated by the Dabbawalas ,these are humble souls , young old men who work for a social cause , that is delivering your lunch to your workplace from your far distant homes .

Even school kids have their lunch delivered from home to school by the dabbawalas , unlike other professionals who bunk, get delayed , the dabbawala is precision personified , he runs on time .

From the station one  group collects the tiffins another group  delivers it to your workplace , they are totally undigitally organized.

I have mostly shot them at two iconic places , one the NM Joshi Marg , the other my backyard Bandra West Station,

Some carry the tiffins in a crate on their heads if it is a short distance but most depend on the cycle and the cycle never fails them..their devotion is their lucky talisman.

They see that you get the right tiffin , no goof up , no excuse , and I shot them braving the heavy rains , drenched but always professional, no dodging the work at hand.

They are apolitical and the only time I saw them en masse was at Azad Maidan supporting Anna Hazares revolution India Against Corruption , sadly Corruption has moved forward and Anna Hazare is still there on his backfoot , in a dreamers paradise ...

So the Dabbbawala , was part of my street study , and I am promoting their cause , diligence and unflinching patriotism too.

I am on Flickr Instagram You Tube