Wednesday, December 19, 2012

People Complain There Is Nothing To Shoot In Mumbai I Prove Them Wrong


I am a street photographer I shoot the people a way of life on the streets , I accessorize my street photography with garbage dumps , sleeping dogs clothesline and street architecture ..

I shot sitting next to the cab driver the demolished silence of the slums at Dagdi Chawl.. barren walls and a few tents the homeless coming to terms ..I have shot the slums and when they get burnt it is a crazy situation of life and death for the tenant living in a loft in a shanty in the slums .. he loses his belongings hiss deposit everything the landlord refuses to pay him as he himself has lost everything ..Most of the people I get my work done live in the slums so I know their lives I always carry fruits excess food for their children,, they wait for me .

I miss my old days I visited Chor Bazar picked up old sarees for the hijras begging on the roads , copy books pencils etc for the slum kids ..and perhaps it is all this that has kept me in good stead this is my spirituality I would not want to pigeonholed with racists bigots .. and over sanctimonious blowing their trumpets day in day out on Facebook Twitter and other social networking sites ..I could not do justice to religiosity if it robbed me of my humanity or forced me to hate other religions I refuse to believe in a God that wants us to kill other ethnicity I would rather be a heretic ..so I am what I am as fragmented as I am in faith and my beliefs centered around Hussain and Humanity .

I cannot shoot Moharam of majlis sozkhani , my Moharam is of rivers of blood our universal protest against oppression and tyranny ..and sometimes it can be within our own self too.. when the flesh tyrannizes the soul or vice versa.

I am on Flickr Instagram You Tube