Sunday, October 9, 2011

Laxmi Narayan Tripathi Hijra Goddess -My Hijra Guru








Update

23 July 2011

I am updating this set two years after I shot it ,I have tried to document the hijra angst their struggle and their love for Sufism via their motto All Religion is One -Sarv Dharm Ek..Hindus Muslims hijra come under one category Human.. unfortunately in a homophobic society even health minsters gun for their ass with ignorance and inhumanly hurtful remarks..

Laxmi Narayan my muse my icon and my Hijra Guru no1 took me under her wings to protect me from various hijra groups that dont like nosy photographers like me who post all their pictures publicly on the Internet.

I have been shooting the hijras for about 7 years now, I write positively and because people on the internet are more vicious towards the hijras , seeing them as sex objects I choked my comment box both at Facebook and Flickr..

I thought this was important for all of you to know.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I was a bit confused I thought I would add all the new pictures I shot of the hijras at Haji Malang 2009 in my existing hijra set at Flickr, but to make it easy for the hijras who will Google Haji Malang and Hijras I decided to create a new set..

Once I reached Haji Malang I parked myself completely at Laxmi Narayan Tripathis hotel, Laxmi is my Hijra Guru..and the source of my Hijra pictures and my Hijra poetry.


We know each other since 12 years or more , and we share a unique bond of love and mutual respect..Laxmi is my Muse , I shoot Laxmi differently trying to capture her androgynous charm on the emulsion of my poets soul.

This picture was shot by Atharva , Laxmis confidante, man Friday and close childhood friend.

I am not including the Hijra pictures at my Haji Malang set ..they will all be posted here...

I spent a night and another day shooting the pictures , the senior hijras were not to comfortable , my shooting their Qawwali or their Sandal dance programme , so I shot it without flash at a higher ISO..in low light , Hijra blur too has its charm.

Because I saw that shooting the Hijras was getting me nowhere , just stuff upper lip opposition, I packed my stuff and took the road downhill..

I love shooting Hijras but being defiant does not help my cause, you dont go against the Hijra gurus or the Nayaks of Mumbai.

Had I extended my stay here by a day I could have shot Gopal and Babitas Sandal procession, I am Gopal Hajis blue eyed boy, he is the Nayak of the Hijras from Najafgarh..they are more supportive and know me much better than the Mumbai hijras.. this is a fact.

But I shall avoid making this a issue of my grievance I know I left Haji Malang without saying good bye to Laxmi.

There is no denying she is a unconquerable Hijra Goddess ..I look like a Knave beside her..

So see my Hijra pictures , the Hijra community is my favorite gender subject , I shoot it with a religiosity, with a passion that I may not be able to describe fully.

I shot a child suckling a Hijra breast, this was my only daring picture , I shot it for its aesthetic sense of poetry..

I shot the Lady boys of Mumbai, I call them Candy Floss boys, I shot the Ardh Naris, and one of them from Delhi had literally tried to seduce me..but than she said it was her nature..I told her Hijra sex was not my nature..

I respect Hijras I show this respect through my pictures.

I connected with old Hijra friends, and I am indebted to Simran Dancer for her love and affection.. she is living Diva too,,

There were some new Hijda faces the over buxom Kamini, the ramp model Khushi.. and they dont look like transgenders, the gifted Poonam Guru.


So all I know I shot the most exquisite Hijras here at Haji Malang verily a Hijra Paradise.
I met the Hijda Bawas too..

I shot Mona the Child Eunuch, now almost 9 years old , net savvy with her own lap top.
I shot Naina of Najafgarh too..I shot Mona of Mumbai..

All my Hijra pictures I will post here at Flickr my set called
Hijras of India

So tighten yourself belt for a take off without hitting a IAF helicopter on the Mumbai runway..

I am on Flickr Instagram You Tube