Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Shooting The Hijra Fashion Week

176,148 items / 1,373,054 views


his was the first Hijra fashion show held under the auspices of the All India Hijda Sammelan that I shot with a dear friend and eminent Times of India photo journo Nitin Sonawane.


The hijras were great walking the ramp with sheer confidence and the crowds all hijras , would go mad, it was utter chaos and confusion , and I was new to photography and new to fashion photography, but I managed.

And these are blank uploads at Flickr. com , I am adding text and nostalgia.

I did not know these hijras I was a bit out of my element, mind you I am a street photographer and I hate flash, and this was an indoor event I had waited for 6 hours without meals before I was given permission to shoot it by Ma Madhurima Baby Guru and late Ragini Nayak.

And I shot the 40 day celebrations of the function to mark the passing away of Nayak Ragini.

I was invited here by Heena Hijra of Peela House fame.


Heena I have not met since two years though I did meet her beautiful Guru Lakshmi at Haji Malang this year and in a way God helps me shoot some of the most beautiful hijras in this part of my world.

I am thankful to him and his bounty.

And honestly shooting hijras is a not a easy task they are volatile people and wont hesitate in smashing your camera and your head too.

I have been lucky both with my head and my testicular fortitude.

I am on Flickr Instagram You Tube