Thursday, March 31, 2011

Marathi Manoos

178,500 items / 1,398,281 views

I took his cab to go for some urgent work to Dadar, he was polite presentable and his cab was specklessly clean from within, I sat next to him , my madam sat at the back.

I took this shot before talking to him,he told me his name is Avhad he is from Chembur.

He drove silently and did not talk further even when I told him he had a very hefty and powerful surname.

I took two shots of this good man..he is a Maharastrian by birth and I am a Maharashtrian by Karma and Dharma.

I have been a Mumbaikar since I came here at the age of 1 and my parents both Shia Muslim migrants from Lucknow lie buried at Rehmatabad Shia cemetery holding hands side by side.

My children all three were born in Mumbai and my grand daughter is a Mumbaikar affectinately called Marziya Koli by the koli women of Bandra Bazar fish market in whose laps she grew with promfrets bangda gol rawas and smell of dry bombils .

Marziya understands the Koli language completely..


Last night when India won I took her down amidst firecrackers to shoot the celebrations at Shaheen building Bandra Bazar Road , she took 2 shots without being intimidated by the cheering kids.. I took the rest.

And Marziya as I reflect would be on my waist a few months old as I shot my surroundings.. and all those outings have helped and Marziya has a photo shoot next week by one of the best Mumbai photographers the versatile Pratik Koli and this is sheer coincidence that Pratik hails from the Koli family is one of my best friends among media persons.. we get off like cheese and firecrackers.

I am on Flickr Instagram You Tube