Friday, March 25, 2011

Hundred Years Birthday Celebrations Of His Holiness Syedna Mohammed Burhanuddin TUS End On a Sad Note At Bandra

177,010 items / 1,388,653 views


Hundred years birthday celebrations of His Holiness Sayedna Mohammed Burhanuddin (TUS)' turned into a inferno in the lane of the Badri mosque at Bandra Bazar Road , a few minutes from now , I was at my computer when the fire engines entered my lane via Bandr Reclamation in great ferocity and haste , I saw this from my house window.

I dont shoot disaster but I took my camera bag on impulse and rushed down I could see the flames leaping away I was told the fire was near the Badri Bohra mosque I rushed , the Bohra crowds were running for cover as the lane to the mosque is far too narrow the fire engines were finding it difficult to come in .

I took two shots from the gate of the decorated entrance I managed to move a few steps in when over enthusiastic Bohra youth beat me up, for shooting the fire , I was totally shocked as this community is one community I hold in the highest esteem, I have set of pictures dedicated to the Bohras in Mumbai at my Flickr photostream.

I was worried about my camera and I am a Shia too, I moved away decided to get the hell out of this manic frenzy , the fire was not my fault , simply the over zealous bursting of crackers without concern for the surroundings or the rest of the people , as I came out I met Kassim my Hallauri friend from Chinchpokli road , he told me I could get a better view from the Gonsalves Wadi , I had lost my slippers so I followed him barefeeet to Gonzalves Wadi open ground , the crowds helped me climb two walls and I reached the fire , the engines had entered the mosque lane , the Badri Mosque was safe the people too were safe I was told , but the bungalow opposite the mosque was burning fiercely , the fire guys and the Bohra volunteers down below went out about clearing the crowds I was on a garage roof I think facing Bandra Hill Road end.. water was sprinkled through giant hose from the fire engine ...on the burning structure .. the top of the bungalow was n real bad shape..

I shot a lot of pictures and finally climbed down the garage roof from the Bandra Hill Road end , the fire was bought under control,, and I left with a sad taste in my mouth.. I showered and am posting this calamity as my new set at Flickr.com.

I am not a social activist but the Bohra community needs to do some soul searching the crackers if that is the cause , could have put so many people at great risk and the adjoining buildings too that hug each other ..I did not come the way of the Mosque lane I was disappointed and I shall post the next pictures all without text..

I wish His Holiness and his followers a very Happy Birthday and I along with the Bohra crowds kept shouting Ya Ali and beat our chests .. and did Matam as the fire died down...

I am on Flickr Instagram You Tube