Sunday, February 27, 2011

Pablo Bartholomew A Very Long Journey

172,324 items / 1,342,970 views

Pablo is an old friend a reminder of the turmoils and the turbulence of my life caught in a vortex of confusion and alcoholic stupor, those days when our paths crossed, we never met after that and today when I got his invitation on Facebook I decided to reconnect with that chapter of my past, neither I nor Pablo knew that I too would be bound to the soul of a camera.

Pablo is a great photographer and his greatness lies in his humility photography is not just taking pictures but making you relive every moment that is a poetic journey of the photographers mind over the vast canvas of his passion angst pathos and the poetry and drama of his life painted in light.


Pablo is a master craftsman , a narrator who weaves the magic on your soul with what his minds eye caught for posterity.


In his words




Chronicles of a Past Life – Bombay

Intrinsic to my growing up, Bombay offered me and thousands of others like me who arrived before and those who followed as economic refugees the opportunity to be cradled and mentored professionally. It gave friendship, food and shelter and the chance to be discovered, the chance to become someone.
...
Having escaped bureaucratic Delhi, leaving behind my troubled teenage life, I found acceptance in this city not for whose son I was but for my skills and talents and of what use they could be to others. This propelled me to try to find myself both economically and in my work.

I look back with warmth and gratitude at what the city offered me. It was with a grudging reluctance that I left the city in the mid ’80s; the death of my father and trouble brewing in the north of the country beckoned me as I entered the world of journalism. Unfortunately, this marked the end of the documentary phase of my work as I started to work as a journalist and had to turn to colour, abandoning the world of black and white.

The “Chronicles” are connected to “Outside In: A Tale of 3 Cities,” my body of work that consisted of my inner world of friends and family. It roughly spans the same years—the ’70s and ’80s—but is more a manifestation of my outer world; my associations with the city and its people, known and unknown.

This exhibition is a way of paying my dues to this city and its people. Often I’d wander aimlessly through the streets in search of its many parts, bit by bit, day by day, month by month, always amazed by the infinite visual joy in each discovery of this place that came to be called home.

Pablo Bartholomew
New Delhi - 31 January 2011

I am on Flickr Instagram You Tube