Friday, September 3, 2010

Jai Bhavani Jai Shivaji Shooting Dahi Handi as Hope and Hindutva.

140,587 items / 1,092,474 views

I dedicate my new Dahi Handii set to the war cry of the Marathi Manoos in Mumbai and Thane where Gokulashtami is celebrated with great fervor and the spirit of peace and humanity ..

This new set is part of my pictorial documentation of Hope and Hindutva a message of Universal Peace.

I will be creating two sets on Flickr keeping my old on hold..These are pictures of the Dahi Handi I shot barefeet and in my fasting state

It began from Ranade Road and after I had shot this I took a train to Thane in the afternoon and reached Vartak Nagar and shot the grand and spectacular Dahi Handi of Mr Pratap Sarnaik the a grand affair of Thane neighbors envy owners pride..

This is my Introduction to his Dahi Handi a very long series , this was a power packed show and the celebrity list is far too long..and this was Mr Pratap Sarnaiks show all the way no actor could compete with his energy level his love for this awesome event and he was ably supported by his wife and his two sons Purvesh and Vihang and their friends relatives volunteers and the Shiv Sena cadre the part to which Mr Sarnaik belongs.

He made Prachi Desai and Aftab Shivdasani break the handi hung on the stage , out in the ground the various groups came and tried their luck..

There was Shreyas Talpade Vinod Kambli Narvekar and other top notch Marathi film and stage artistes ,,

But the jewel in the crown was the charming humble and the Rahul Gandhi of the Thackeray family Aditya U Thackeray son of Mr Udhav Thackeray,

The crowds loved him and cheered for this future leader of Maharashtra.

I was introduced to him by Purvesh and I mentioned that his father Udhavji and I shared the same Guru late Prof BW Jatkar and he immediately took me besides him and told the photographers to shoot us both ..


Such was his respect for me through his magnanimity , I am not good at reporting but I shall show yo this event through pictures the Russian dance laser show and the works..

The event was being recorded live to USA by CNN and an American network was shooting this on 3D cameras.

I broke my fast on the stage and met Mr Bal Nandgaonkar and Mr Jadhav , their Talwadi Pandal hasd broken the World record in Dahi Handi in 2008 that I had shot , and Mr Pratap Sarnaik introduced me to the crowd and told them the same.


So I will keep text brief and I must thank a young photographer Sangram Musale who was a great help he he shoots with a D300 and has been shooting fro the 8 standard he told me ..
He was shooting this event too we traveled back together as he stays in Dadar from Dadar I proceeded to Bandra.


So this set is Dahi Handi of Mr Pratap Sarnaik at Vartak Nagar Thane .

The other set is Dahi Handi at Ranade Road Dadar.


The sculpture of Chattrapati Maharaj was part of Mr Pratap Sarnaiks stage decor.

Huge cut outs of Shree Balasaheb Thackeray and Mr Udhav Thackeray adorned the grounds.

I am on Flickr Instagram You Tube