Sunday, October 4, 2009

The Umbrella Lady of Bandra Reclamation Waits

99,179 items / 599,410 views

Ever since I shifted to this area , I have been observing and photographing this womans plight,this poor destitute homeless , lives under an umbrella , I have shot her having a bath without degrading her womanhood..I shot her back she was wearing a sarong, I have never seen her stand up at all.. where she goes for call of nature I dont know..

She is the first lesson in Charity I taught my 23 month old grand daughter Marziya..Marziya will nudge me as I pass her , take Rs 10 from my hand carefully ,cross the puddle and politely hand it over to her..Marziya with her child s mind understands..

During heavy rains , like one last night she sits there under the umbrella ..she does not talk, she does not complain , I am told she renounced her affluent status in life , her family I was told stays at Dadar

Is she a Hindu or a Muslim or a Christian does not matter ..Not a single Christian mission like the Sisters of St Theresa who take care of the beggars on Hill Road Bandra have ever passed here ,,, No Hindu or Muslim either..

This is a place where a few steps ahead stays a heavy weight political bigwig , he passes by every day but he will never notice her , we only notice good things in life..they might have noticed her if she was nubile or naked mad.. but than she has been saved that dishonor..

Well this is the quintessential flip side of the dead soul of Mumbai and the Umbrella Lady of Bandra Reclamation....

I am on Flickr Instagram You Tube