Monday, September 28, 2009

Backstage With Ramilila Artistes

Backstage with the Ramlila artistes in their sanctum sanctorum, the place where they collectively help each other to dress up, apply make up, accessorize their characters .

There is no dress man as found in film or theater productions.

The actors are kids , young men senior people from different walks of life .. bought here from Mathura , to portray good over evil.. through a theatrical vehicle called Ramlila.

They later on stage become divine characters they portray..be it Ram Lakshman Sita or Ravan or Hanuman.

A lot of effort goes in bringing their characters to life , this is is my pictorial tribute to all of them and a part of my story board called Hope and Hindutva a message of Peace.

It was a field day for photo journalists each trying to invent a different approach to their shots..I as a blogger dont get intimidated by their fancy cameras or their fancy names..I shoot this with a divine passion that borders on a spiritual lunacy of my mind and soul.


A day before the artistes and the Ramlila management had stopped access to photographers from going backstage , and I faced their ire too, and it was allegedly an article written by a reporter and shot by a photographer of Hindustan Times that had hurt their religious sentiments.

I was made the scapegoat , insulted humiliated by one of the Ramlila volunteers for this aberration for no fault of mine.

But last evening I believe matters had been sorted out between the Press and the Ramlila management , I was lucky to be able t shoot all this.
The persons who play Ram and Lakshman are very fond of me, and interestingly it is the person that played Ram last year is playing Lakshman and vice versa , because of height change in an year..Ram has to look taller than Lakshman.

The person who portrays Ravan is Siddha Chaturvedi I call him the Wise One he is indeed wise and full of wisdom..

I am great fan of Lord Shiva so you can see much of my affection and sympathy lie with Lord Ravan a victim of his karmic destiny..In a way Ravan is a Hero too in his own rights..He did what he had to do..

Dasshera symbolizes good over evil is a bold and beautiful message for all of us.

This is one of my most interesting photo shoot and I knew when to bring it to a halt , I left backastage as soon as the curtain rose for the show..

I am grateful to all the Ramlila committee members specially Mr Sundar I Kannar who loves photography with a passion , a very hospitable polite and a very human person..

I dd not stay too long once again walking barefeet from Shivaji Park to Mahim , I shot a few frames of Durga at Sitla Devi too at their Arti.

"Cancalam Hi Manah Krsna Pramathi Balavaddrdham
Tasyaham Nigraham Manye Vayoriva Suduskaram"

This Sloka states that the Individual self is the traveler in the chariot of the material body and the intelligence is the driver. Mind is the driving instrument and the senses are the horses. Thus, the self is the enjoyer or sufferer in the relationship of the mind and senses.

for more shlokas see

www.iloveindia.com/spirituality/sloka/slokas-from-bhagwad...

I am on Flickr Instagram You Tube