Tuesday, August 18, 2009

The Hijra From Hijra Gully No1

88,102 items / 533,961 views

It was two years back I had taken Dr Glenn Losack MD to the most famous Hijra address Hijra Gullly No 1 Kamatipura.

Most of the Hijra dancers at the Gay Parade were from this area, most of them knew me as some worked at the Mumbai Cages streets..

Hijras have elephant like memories , you may forget them but they wont forget you ever, they will never forget the good you did to them , similarly they remember the bad you did to them too..


I have met Hijras who have been very kind to me , Madhurima Ma , Baby and the late Ragini Naik , respected me as I respected them..the hijra can read your inner mind and the darkness of your soul.

I have a Vardan , a blessing from God I shall always meet Hijras ..and I dont run after them , they literally fall into my laps of photography.


As I write this I have pictures of the beggar hijras on my comp that I shot a few days back and not uploaded at all.

I met Anamika the sensual hijra from Mulund , she was with me at the Maryamma feast at Mahim, I was to pierce a 18 feet rod through my cheeks ,last minute I shelved the thought keeping this ritual for my friend Glenn , I want him to shoot me when I pierce the rod into my cheeks..
Glenn has shot me slashing my head open with a dagger .. during Chehlum Moharam

The pictures I shot of the beggar hijras was with Marziya my grand daughter ,, she stood next to them and was curious about them but not scared....these are unique pictures.


Marziya knows how to put the memory card in the slot of the camera Nikon D80 , she knows how to put the card reader in the front port of the comp...she watches what I shoot and I make it a point show her my shot.. on the monitor ..

Laxmi Narayan Tripathi called me this evening she had running fever but had attended the Gay Parade , she left immediately , as she has just come out from hospital , she is recovering from a viral infection..


The only regret Laxmi has is not having met Marziya and Marziya will be 22 months in a few days.
Shaheen Muskan were all there at the Gay Parade last evening..

I am on Flickr Instagram You Tube