Monday, July 25, 2016

The British Residency Lucknow 2014



Every time I came to Lucknow to shoot Moharam I would make it a point a photographic pilgrimage to meet the greatest historian literary authority of Lucknow late Mr PC Little ..I was introduced to him by his two sons Bhuphesh and Avinash Little .

Mr PC Little was a hobbyist camera repairer and like me a lover of Keats poetry ,, and as we framed our thoughts in poetry he became my teacher guide and Mentor ,,

It  was Mr PC Little who made me a hon member of his Horizon Camera Club Lucknow it was Mr PC Little who inspired me to shoot the nuances of light and shade within the British Residency complex ,,he told me you will never get tired shooting the British Residency ,,

And it was at the St Marys Cemetery I found solace peace and poetic serenity ,,

This slideshow that I will be presenting ,,today at You Tube is dedicated to Mr PC Littles Memory


The Residency, also called as the British Residency and Residency Complex, is a group of several building in a common precinct in the city of Lucknow, India. The Residency now exists in ruins and is located in the heart of the city, in vicinity of other monuments like Shaheed Smarak, Tehri Kothi and High Court Building. It was constructed during the rule of Nawab Saadat Ali Khan II,who was the fifth Nawab of the province of Awadh (British Spelling Oudh). The construction took place between 1780 to 1800 AD and served as the residence for the British Resident General who was a representative in the court of the Nawab. In 1857 the place witnessed a prolonged battle which is also known as Siege of Lucknow; this began on 1 July and continued until 17 November.

The Residency has been maintained as it was at the time of the final relief, and the shattered walls are still scarred by cannon shot. Even since Indian Independence, little has changed. The ruined building is surrounded by lawns and flowerbeds and is a tourist attraction nowadays. The cemetery at the nearby ruined church has the graves of 2000 men, women and children, including that of Sir Henry Lawrence who died during the siege. There is a weathered epitaph near the grave of Sir Henry that reads "Here lies the son of Empire who tried to do his duty" while another nearby grave reads "Do not weep my children, for I am not dead, but am sleeping here." A light and sound show to show display the history of the Residency is also played each evening.

I am on Flickr Instagram You Tube